Since many years I had been planning to visit this fort, and finally I visited it, last week.
Though the fort is in ruins, it is a popular tourist attraction attributed more to its scenic location.
Here are 10 facts about the erstwhile Cabo de Rama fort:
1) It is said that Lord Rama, the Hindu deity and his wife lived here during their 14 years of exile from Ayodhya, thus named Cabo de Rama in Portuguese, which translated to Cave of Rama in English.
2) Situated in Canacona taluka, it is located at a distance of 14 kilometres from Agonda beach, and 30 kilometres from Margao.
3) It is one of the largest and oldest forts in Goa and occupies an area of 18,000 square meters!
4) It was built by the Maratha king, Sambhaji Raj.
5) It was invaded and captured from the Hindu ruler, Raja Sonda, by the Portuguese in 1763.
6) The fort was invaded by many armies and has witnessed many battles.
7) It houses a small chapel of Saint Antonio, which is, renovated and still used by devotees. Next to it is a statue of Mother Mary.
8) The fort had elaborate defence system including a moat and several bastions.
9) The western side of the fort renders beautiful view of the Arabian Sea and Cabo de Rama beach.
10) From 1935 until 1955, this for was used as a prison.
|Entry to the fort|
|Remains of ammunition|
|Saint Anthony's church|